If you are not next me on Instagram a) why the hell not? b) you would have skipped the memo that I have kicked off a new initiative that I like to contact Tofriday!
What is Tofriday? It’s mainly just a standard Friday but showcasing a tofu recipe. It’s not likely to be each individual Friday (for the reason that I am not that organised) and it doesn’t suggest I won’t be publishing tofu recipes on days other than Friday (due to the fact that would be strange), it’s just one thing exciting to do!
Via Tofriday, I’m hoping to showcase the sheer flexibility of our beloved tof, and inspire vegans and non-vegans alike to rejoice these beige cubes of question.
When there are already tonnes of tofu recipes on Like A Vegan, the initially offish Tofriday entry is quite bloody stunning. With a delightfully seasoned crispy coating, my Popcorn Tofu is certain to throw the words and phrases “boring” and “tasteless” out of your tofu-similar vernacular! (Okay, I definitely did not necessarily mean for that to rhyme but I am heading to depart it in there.)
- 500g block additional organization tofu
- 1 1/2 cups soy milk
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 cups plain flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 tablespoons combined dried herbs
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons onion powder
- 2 tablespoons dietary yeast
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 tablespoon salt (as well as a very little excess to serve)
- Canola or vegetable oil for deep frying
- Your favorite dipping sauce
- Gently press the tofu to take out any excess dampness, before crumbling into bite-sized items (roughly 2cm x 2cm or thereabouts.)
- In a shallow dish, whisk alongside one another the soy milk and apple cider vinegar. Established apart to thicken.
- In another shallow dish, incorporate the plain flour, baking soda, mixed dried herbs, garlic powder, onion powder, dietary yeast, white pepper and salt.
- Pour the oil into an appropriately-sized saucepan and provide to a medium-superior warmth. (You can also use a deep fryer if you have a single.)
- Although the oil is heating, dunk the tofu chunks into the milk combination and then coat with the flour combination. Do this all over again so just about every piece of tofu has two coats. Unfold them out evenly on a significant tray or plate.
- When the oil has heated, insert more than enough tofu chunks as to not overcrowd the saucepan.
- Once the chunks have turned a deep golden color (this takes place fairly quickly!), gently eliminate them and area onto a big tray or plate lined with paper towel.
- Sprinkle with remaining salt and provide with your favorite dipping sauce.